A very quick update after Ema’s veterinary appointment —
Of course it couldn’t just be as simple as an elongated soft palate issue, although there is that to contend with.
My vet did a thorough listen to Ema’s heart, although it was hard to do so through her heavy breathing sounds. She determined that there’s definitely a heart murmur going on, and decided to do xrays to see if she could find anything else of concern.
It seems that Ema’s heart is definitely enlarged, and her diaphragm also seems malformed. Another potential issue is a stenotic trachea, which can only be diagnosed via scope. Bottom line? Ema needs to see the cardiologist at Guelph.
Dr. Boyle was also very concerned about Ema’s cyanotic appearance, as well as with her fainting spells, and has prescribed valium for her, which I’m to keep Ema on between now and her cardiologist’s appointment. For Ema, running and playing like a normal puppy could be fatal. I think I might end up needing to share her valium – there’s only so much worry a surrogate dog mommy can take.
We’re hoping to get her in as soon as Wednesday, because Dr. Boyle isn’t sure she’s going to make it much past that without some treatment. All of this is, I’m sure, going to come with some hefty price tags – I don’t think I’ve ever walked into Guelph without it costing me at least $3,000.
Cross your fingers for us…