A very quick Ema update
A very quick update after Ema’s veterinary appointment —
Of course it couldn’t just be as simple as an elongated soft palate issue, although there is that to contend with.
My vet did a thorough listen to Ema’s heart, although it was hard to do so through her heavy breathing sounds. She determined that there’s definitely a heart murmur going on, and decided to do xrays to see if she could find anything else of concern.
It seems that Ema’s heart is definitely enlarged, and her diaphragm also seems malformed. Another potential issue is a stenotic trachea, which can only be diagnosed via scope. Bottom line? Ema needs to see the cardiologist at Guelph.
Dr. Boyle was also very concerned about Ema’s cyanotic appearance, as well as with her fainting spells, and has prescribed valium for her, which I’m to keep Ema on between now and her cardiologist’s appointment. For Ema, running and playing like a normal puppy could be fatal. I think I might end up needing to share her valium – there’s only so much worry a surrogate dog mommy can take.
We’re hoping to get her in as soon as Wednesday, because Dr. Boyle isn’t sure she’s going to make it much past that without some treatment. All of this is, I’m sure, going to come with some hefty price tags – I don’t think I’ve ever walked into Guelph without it costing me at least $3,000.
Cross your fingers for us…
Hi – I couldn’t figure out an email address to send to you, so I figured I’d use the comment box… Not sure if you’re aware (or maybe it’s because I’m on an XP machine currently, I’ll try again from my Win7 PC at home), but the donate button doesn’t seem to be working – I get an error message, “We were unable to decrypt the certificate id.” and then a button saying something like return to PayPal account. -cindy
Hi Cindy —
I couldn’t get it to work either – something’s wrong with it – so I’ve put the “Chip In” widget back up. Hopefully that will work.
I’m always nervous when I walk into University Animal Hospitals… they give great care, but it comes with a scary high price tag!
Oh, I’m sorry to hear this. When I read your initial account of Ema, I immediately thought cardiac, but was hoping for just a crappy palate problem. 🙁
Fingers crossed there is something workable for her condition.
My senior boston who is currently recovering herself from mast cell tumor removal and my teenage French who is currently terrorizing the senior boston wish Ema tons of luck from Chicago! Sorry we couldn’t give more but we figured every little bit helps!
We’re sending our best wishes for little Ema, she looks like such a sweetie. 🙂 We’re rooting for you!
What a cute pup! We wish we could make a bigger $ contribution, maybe we could provide a link from our website?
love to Ema from Coco and Harriet!
Please, please do – the more we spread Ema’s story, the better the chances we can afford to get her the surgery she needs.