Toronto Dog Park Poisoned & Barrie Dog Poisoned in Own Yard

A Barrie, Ontario Veterinarian is issuing a warning to other residents of the city to be on the lookout for poisoned hotdogs, after his own dog was poisoned this weekend.

The poisoned hotdog was left in Dr. Martin’s own yard, leaving no doubt that this was an intentional case of attempted poisoning.

“I let my dog out, and he was out in the backyard and I saw him eating something in the corner of the yard. I took a look at it, grabbed it out of his mouth and it was a hotdog that was sliced down the middle. there were three tablets.”

Martin says those tablets were extra strength Tylenol and his little dog Marcel swallowed one.

Martin rushed his dog to the animal clinic and then to the animal hospital to induce vomiting. He says the dose would have killed his dog because of his size.

Luckily Martin was able to get the drug out of his dog’s system in time.

“If I had just let him out and went back in the house he would have eaten the whole hotdog and he would have died that day or the next day,” Martin says.

Read more:

Meanwhile in Toronto, rat poison has been found in the off leash dog park located inside High Park. The deadly poison, still in its packaging, was found in the popular dog park by two women walking their own dogs. They contacted police, who are actively investigated whether this was a deliberate poisoning attempt.

If so, it would not be the first time.

Last year, three Leslieville area dogs died after ingesting poison, and at least fifteen more dogs became seriously ill.

A High Park dog owner summed it dog owners’ fears, saying –

“This is becoming a common occurrence that happens every summer and dogs have died,” Phillips said. “It is concerning because some dogs eat everything and because this is such a big space you don’t notice what your dog gets into. It is hard to know who the suspect could be.”

Read more:

This is a good time to remind people to be aware of their surroundings, and to be extra careful about letting dogs off leash. It’s also a good time to start training the “leave it” command, to reinforce that dogs should not eat random items they find on the ground.

A good overview is here –


4 replies
  1. Regina Coburn
    Regina Coburn says:

    Thank you for sharing this info and a reminder to people to always see what your pet is eating and never let down your guard – the same as you would do for any baby – human or the fur types as well. A good reason for towns to start running surveillance camera's in all parks – so we can get the trash that would do these things arrested. Apparently we need to run surveillance in our backyards as well. Sick people that would purposely chise to harm animals need to be removed from society before they decide killing animals is not exciting enough. We need to lock up anyone who hurt or tends to try and kill animals with the mindset these people are seriously defective and no society should allow them loose with out supervision. A good time to do something about our laws. Again thank you for reminding us even our homes are not safe around the crazies.


Trackbacks & Pingbacks

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.