Ema’s Big Day is Here

Ema in November

This morning, Ema, Eva and I met with Dr. Brisson and her cardiac surgery team at the University of Guelph small animal clinic.

Dr. Brisson just returned to work this morning, but she had already been caught up to speed on Ema’s condition and prognosis by Dr. O’Grady and the other members of the Balloon Procedure team. When we arrived, Dr. Brisson was already aware of all of Ema’s various conditions, and she was ready to jump right in to doing her own evaluation.

Two hours later, we got the news we’d been waiting for – Ema has a surgical date for tomorrow morning at 8:00 am. We are proceeding with her surgery, although we’re aware that there’s only a 50:50 chance that she’ll survive it. For Ema, this is her only hope. In the short time she’s been with us, all of us who love Ema have watched her condition slowly worsen. Even when being carried almost everywhere by Eva, Ema’s seizures are worsening, and happening more often. She’s tired and lethargic most of the time, and minimal exercise and excitement wear her out. Without surgery, she will suffer increasingly from the effects of her conditions, and I just won’t let that happen to her.

As of this morning’s appointment, we’ve spent over $1700 just getting Ema to this stage. Her new surgical estimate is $4500.00, and we have about $2500.00 left of the money we’ve raised to put towards that. This means that, once again and for the final time, I’m asking for your help in getting Ema to the finish line. Tomorrow’s surgery will hopefully mean that Ema will wake up with a new lease on life, and a chance at finally being the puppy she so desperately wants to be.

If you can help, please make a donation towards Ema’s surgery fund. With any luck, this is the last time I’ll have to ask, because tomorrow afternoon I’ll be telling everyone that she’s in recovery and doing just fine. The same offer applies that I made for CJ – if you donate $250 or more to Ema’s surgery fund, I’ll add a banner for your company (or whatever you want, so long as it’s legal) to this blog for six months.

9 replies
  1. jen
    jen says:

    Just wanted to say good luck to you and little Ema <3

    She is so cute, so much spunk, I just know she'll be loving life even more after her procedure!

  2. Ann Buckley
    Ann Buckley says:

    I just gave a small donation for Ema. Hope everyone can do the same as the $$$$ adds up when lots of people donate.

    Wishing Ema a great outcome so she can begin to live a more normal, happier life.

    I have a little Brussels Griffon boy, MacKenzie, who was recently diagnosed ( in May ) with cardiac problems. Unfortunately, there is no surgery that can help him. He has valve disease ( affecting both sides of his heart). For now, thankfully, he is completely asymptomatic and is acting 100% normal: going for 1.25 mile walks several times a day, is active and happy.

    Wish I had a surgical option for my little boy. His diagnosis is not good: they give him one to two years to live ( with meds.)…. but it should be time with a very, very good quality of life. That means a lot to me. We live each day to its fullest and I will enjoy and thank God for every wonderful day I still have with my little man! He is just seven years old and just such a great little Griff.

    Ema……… give it your all, little girl! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.


  3. Cindy
    Cindy says:

    Happy dance, happening here! Thinking nothing but postitive thoughts, and visualizing Ema in recovery, nice and pink. I’m so hopeful and wishing you & Ema the best of luck tomorrow.

  4. Jeremy & Watts
    Jeremy & Watts says:

    Watts, my male 2 year old frenchie, and I send you all the best. I appreciate what you do for the breed and the integrity with which you go about things. All positive vibes coming your way. That little emma has a familiar gleam in her eyes. Reminds me a little bit of Watts. Just a little bit 😉

Comments are closed.