Homemade Ice Cream for Dogs
I occasionally like to make a nice cold treat for the dogs when the weather gets really hot. Yes, you can buy commercial doggy ice cream treats, but how freakin’ lazy are you, anyways? Get in that kitchen and whip up a batch, for one tenth the price. Sheesh.
I use a recipe I found someplace or other on the net, way back when old people like me were still (non ironically) referring to it as the ‘information super highway’. Ha, now that’s old!
Dog Days of Summer Icey Treats
- large container organic, live culture vanilla yogurt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons natural, un sweetened peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons non pasteurized honey
- handful of blueberries
- Blend all ingredients together and freeze in 3-ounce paper cups.
- Microwave for just a few seconds before serving.
Alternate additions: Carob chips, banana chunks, grated carrots for doggies on diets, or just about anything else.
Since Penelope is allergic to peanut butter, we skip it and add a handful of hemp hearts and any of the other alternate ingredients I mentioned above.
Of course, you could also try this recipe, which should have a richer, meatier taste than the one above – and isn’t ‘meaty‘ the quality we should all be looking for in our ice cream?
Candied Bacon Ice Cream* – click here for the recipe
* I’d like to point out to those of you who think that ‘candied bacon ice cream’ is the worst thing ever done with bacon that it could have been worse – much, much worse. It could have been bacon topped chocolate chip cookies. Yes, seriously. I should also point out that I just said the words ‘bacon topped chocolate chip cookies’ out loud, and Sean instantly jumped up and said “ooh – where? What? Make some!!”. So, there you go. Boys will eat anything, especially anything with bacon on it, proving that men = dogs in more ways than we could have imagined.
For a second there I thought I’d accidentally wound up at some freaky “mothers-to-be” blog with recipes to satisfy pre-natal cravings.
That is a great idea to make it yourself! Wonder if Baby would like some of this ice cream or not… I will have to give it a try.
Thanks for the recipe…I can’t wait to make some for my boys. It’s been sweltering here in coastal North Carolina, and I know they’ll enjoy these treats.
Sarah’s last blog post..For Daniellie